Sunday, September 27, 2009

Don't try this at home, kids.

I'm pretty good at the internet.

It's true.
I've been threatening to make stickers or buttons that say just that,
and I know you want one.

But I've got nothing on Molly, Meryl's fellow MFA'er.

Molly also just aquired a letterpress, and with grand visions of setting type for mail art and sexy promotional pieces, I plunged headfirst into a very scary project.
A full poem, cut-and-pasted into a readable image.
Normally, I'd say 'no way'.
A stenciling nightmare, and Linework Hell.
But for Meryl, Molly, and all of the people on the mail art list, I accepted.
Ha.

I Go Back to May 1937
by Sharon Olds

Re-arranged, stenciled and tattooed in the shape of two wings.
6+ hours of tattooing time alone, 1 sitting.

Molly did make one part super easy for me though.
She sat perfect for the whole time.
No kidding.

And no, don't even think about it.
I'll never do anything else like it ever again.



(click on the image to see it full-sized)