Thursday, June 11, 2009

Getting far away for a few days.


Meryl and I just got back from five days up north on Lake Superior.

We stayed in Bayfield, WI, which is the "gateway to the Apostle Islands", in Wisconsin's oldest bed and breakfast, the Rittenhouse Inn.
Not only was the place amazing, but they catered to our being vegan, and we had multiple-course breakfasts every day.
What?
I know.

The house in the middle of this photo is where we stayed.
Built in 1907 (the same year as my house) by a lumber baron (who had a LOT more money than whoever built mine).
We had one of the rooms that overlooked the lake.
Nice stuff.




It was crappy weather the first day, but it made for some pretty amazing photos, like the lake (top).

We checked out the Apostle Islands, did more walking/hiking than I've ever done before, saw lighthouses, seacaves (I know, it's a lake), lots of old awesome things, boats, shipwrecks, etc.
What I didn't do is ANY email or computer usage at all, tattooing, drawing for clients, or worrying about work (much).
And that was probably the best part.




The rain didn't mess up our trip any, but it DID do a lot of good back in Minneapolis, where a drought is wrecking things.
Lots of rain and then sunshine made my raised bed gardens look so much better when I got back.


Thanks to Kyle and Rebecca for their parts in dog and house sitting!