Sunday, December 27, 2009

Getting out of Town





The footprints, and the footprint makers.

This was the quietest Christmas I can ever remember.
We usually spend the holiday with my parents,
my sister, and my brother in Maryland,
and that house's decibel level becomes terrifying.

If you think I get too loud,
get ready for this admission.
My brother Kyle is far louder.
The volume only multiplies when everyone is trying to shout over everyone else.
The first couple years Meryl hid behind the couch,
until she realized that we weren't actually fighting.

This year, there was none of that.
We had Adam around,
and Ryan and Rebecca brought sexy presents
and vegan cheesecake Christmas Eve.
Then Christmas Day we had Casey, Ardeshir, Adam, and Camden
around the table with us chowing down some banana pecan pancakes that Meryl made.
So good.
In between all of that,
there was a lot of shoveling happening,
and planning for Japan.

In 48 hours we'll be on a plane heading West.
So West It'll be Far East.
Lots of last minute preparations to get done today,
especially since tomorrow I'm cramming in one last work day.
What an a-hole.
(it sounded like a good idea when I booked it)


Someone stole a bag of melting salt off of our front porch last night.
And last year someone took our shovel.
But I won't have to worry about all of this after tomorrow.
It's a balmy 50º in Tokyo right now,
can't wait to be there.